Friday, February 25, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Goddo - Pretty Bad Boys

Goddo - Pretty Bad Boys 


#402

September 23 1981

Goddo

Pretty Bad Boys

Genre: Canadian Rock

4 out of 5



Highlights:

If Tomorrow Never Comes

Forget About Forgetting

Let’s Talk It Over



I was bored one day and found my mind wandering and I thought to myself, “Self, maybe it’s not pronounced “Guhh-dough”. Maybe it’s “Goddo” and he’s like your buddy and Beckett was a jokester or had a lack of command of English. That would make sense, no? 


And that’s my Wednesday. 


I never heard of this sludgy metal band but apparently they were around for decades. And, since they are Canadian…do they have that special sauce? 


To me, they do. 


The Tappiness of the double entendres of “Feeling Strange Today” is offset but it’s charming innocence. 


There’s some weird shit on here, like the steel drum driven “Shooting Stars” but it’s so damned goofy I don’t hate it. And then the “hit” song “Pretty Bad Boys” which could also be John Mellencamp. Almost as if they are aping him. 


“Forget About Forgetting” could be Burning Brides and appear on the Rock Band DLC. I would have played the shit out of that song and I think ROky Erickson would have made “Vampire Eyes” even more menacing without losing any of it’s flavor. And “Let’s Talk if Over” is a booming glam rock cum Cheap Trick tune if I’ve ever heard. 


I’m a Goddo fan. [Insert Waiting for Goddo joke here]






*Yes, I know the leader of this band is Greg Godovitz. 


https://music.apple.com/us/album/pretty-bad-boys/295422600






No comments: