Friday, February 25, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Suburban Lawns - Suburban Lawns

 Suburban Lawns - Suburban Lawns



#399

September 22 1981 LISTENING POST DISCOVERY

Suburban Lawns

Suburban Lawns

Genre: New Wave

4 out of 5




Highlights:

Pioneers

Intellectual Rock

Anything

Janitor



At first I was going to make some Residents comparison but then I realized…this is more Barnes and Barnes Voobaha that that. It’s hyper, percussive and even more hyper. 

So many of these early 80s New Wavers listened to Talking Heads, decided to amp themselves up on some unsustainable amphetamine and just went for it.

This is one of those. Having listened to this immediately after King Crimson I am struck by just how much I prefer one over the other. Not that they are the same, but they aren’t all that dissimilar in that the music and the groove is more important than the content. 

But, this talk singing Fred Schneider gone bad meets speed junkie grooves gets me in the toe tappers. And the nasal bee stings of the vocals on “Anything” is Rezillotastic. 

Then there’s the laconic Iyall meets Siouxie vox on songs like “Janitor” with a chorus of “Oh, my genitals”. I mean…that kings King Crimson’s ass any day. 


It’s obvious that I prefer speed to mellow. I drink an Americano every morning followed before noon by an Iced Macchiato and I need Melatonin just to get to sleep cuz that’s a tonnage of caffeine coursing through these arteries. I wouldn’t know what to do with “mellow” if you offered it to me as a career.


This band should have opened for Romeo Void. 



https://music.apple.com/us/album/suburban-lawns/1444071426

No comments: