Thursday, February 24, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Air Supply - The One That I Love

 Air Supply - The One That I Love



#373

1981 Housekeeping

By Jed Francese

Air Supply

The One That You Love

Genre: Soft Mellow Australian Soft Mellow Rock for Soft Mellow Men Who Aren’t Afraid of Their Emotions (Ed. Note)

Allen’s Rating: 3 out of 5

Jed’s Rating: 3.5 out of 5



So I’ve asked for an Air Supply record to review because Allen made an innocent comment to me when I was asking for albums along the lines of, “Well, I still need people to do Air Supply”.


I loved that because my mother liked the band so much. I grew up on this shit.


Most of my peers were listening to The Ramones or KISS or Talking Heads or AC/DC...I was hearing my mother spin Jimmy Buffett & Air Supply & Juice Newton. And I don’t regret any of it.


It may have taken me a bit to get to records that weren’t super vanilla Adult Contemporary but it’s not all that bad!


So my record is “The One That You Love” from ‘81; and my rating would be 3.5 out of 5...

but I have to say in the same breath that the title track & “Here I Am” are gold. Sure, it’s cheesy gold, like Velveeta I guess, but gold nonetheless. The production is great, the harmonies are great - so frankly - F you if you don’t have a soft spot in your heart for Air Supply.


Then there’s the bad news...for all of the heavy talent & solid production - boy is there a lot of filler. The records I want to review are solid front to back, just keep flipping her over because it doesn’t ever lag or get weak. Yeah, that’s not this. Maybe it’s an ear worm thing...maybe it’s a sentimental thing? But the three or four tracks on the album I dig - I really love. Go ahead, call me lame Bobby, I’ll always be The One That You Love.


https://open.spotify.com/album/1aEMnQLoZHDjibEDcisTMJ?si=tqXs7tgBQVuJxi3sCDpgYA

No comments: