Friday, February 25, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Rip, Rig and Panic - God

Rip, Rig and Panic - God 



#392

September 3 1981

Rip, Rig and Panic

God

Genre: Post-Rock

4.25 out of 5



Highlights:

Through Nomad Eyeballs

Those Eskimo Women Speak Frankly



I am not very knowledgeable on all things Neneh Cherry. But when her name popped up in relation to this record my ears perked up. This is the first time I’ve knowingly tuned in to her. And what a strange intro. 

Now, this isn’t a Cherry record. It’s some kind of post-rock collective but, what a bunch of songs. 

Honestly, this is not well labelled so there’s no real way for me to determine what’s what but what I heard I liked. It’s very free form Jazz meets post rock. There’s one tune, which I think is “Change Your Life” that sounds to me like Penguin Cafe Orchestra if they were a British post-rock endeavor. This is the record I was hoping The Pop Group would put out as their follow up. Tribal Rhythms and yelping vox and schizoid drumming…I don’t know that I missed it or ever need to hear it again but I’m glad I did hear it. 



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7zkM6VvfUs

No comments: