Friday, February 25, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - The Passions - Thirty Thousand Feet Over Chine

The Passions - Thirty Thousand Feet Over Chine



#395

September 18 1981

The Passions

Thirty Thousand Feet Over China

Genre: Moody Wave

4 out of 5



Highlights:

I’m in Love with a German Film Star

The Swimmer

Runaway





I was really looking forward to this one after the surprise of their debut the year before. This one is a bit more moody but, it’s just as accomplished and it makes me wonder what The Passions did to anyone for them to have been relegated as footnotes to this sound. 

Songs like “I’m in Love with a German Film Star” and “The Swimmer” are radio friendly genre pieces that scream 80s to me and I have to wonder…have they show up on any revival tours? They should. As an opener, I think. But, they deserve more than just a quizzical look from erudite film historians such as myself. 


You know how some records are like the “Soundtrack to a dream”…but that just means they are ambient and pretentious? Not this one. If your dreams have rock soundtracks, this one would work perfectly.

I even enjoyed the club(esque) track at the end, “Skin Deep”. At least it was last. 




https://music.apple.com/us/album/thirty-thousand-feet-over-china/1444012052 

No comments: