Tuesday, February 22, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Pablo Cruise - Reflector

 Pablo Cruise - Reflector



#328

July 1981

Pablo Cruise

Reflector

Genre: Pop Rock

2.75 out of 5




Highlights:

This Time

Jenny





There is no “Pablo Cruise”. He’s the American version of Pink Floyd. Just a name. But, for me, that name always conjured up Hawaiian shirts and soft rock. I seem to recall Bill Murray insisting that they perform on SNL at some point. Is that story apocryphal? Was that a different band? Who knows?

This band isn’t a soft rock outfit. I mean, they aren’t a HARD rock outfit, either. They are a Toto kind of thing. A Molly Hatchett for the AOR crowd. They are the band I would have been forced to play on KMIX 101. Oh, I never told you I was a DJ for a MOR station in the desert? yeah. Only a couple times. I had a talk show on the AM sister station but they let me jump into the music booth a few times to cover the 3AM - 6AM slot. I slotted in a couple of Queen songs and got reported by a blind farmer who was angry that I played something off the list. The Program Director chewed me out. “Who told you you could play whatever you want?”

Dude. It was 3AM. 

Whatever. 

I was also one of the very last people in radio to interview Wolfman Jack. I accidentally hung up on him. When a caller said, “Wolfman Jack!?!? I thought he was dead!!!” 

So did I.

He died 3 days later. 


None of that has anything to do with this record but, that’s fine. Ultimately, I think these guys wanna be either The Doobie Brothers or Steely Dan and yet…umm…no. 




https://music.apple.com/us/album/reflector/1443547049

No comments: