Friday, February 25, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - The Opposition - Breaking the Silence

 The Opposition - Breaking the Silence


#401

September 23 1981

The Opposition

Breaking the Silence

Genre: Synth Wave

4.25 out of 5



Highlights:

Paddy Fields

Moving Targets

In My Eyes


Very Little Glory


It took a bit for me. I resisted. But, by the end, despite the programmed drums and the obviousness of it, I was taken by “Paddy Fields” and gave myself over to it and the the U2iness of “War Games”…it’s possible that The Opposition are as responsible for that “80s Sound” as anyone else. 


But this isn’t just a record of songs, it’s almost operatic in it’s approach. 


This record is like a bath. I don’t know if I’m supposed to enjoy it or just let it wash over me. 


I chose the latter.


And I’m not sure if I will ever return to it, but I loved my visit while I was there.


“Very Little Glory” is the Clash song they would have written if they were able to conjure up the majesty of gigantic arena rock. Not a slag just that it reminds me of them and I already mentioned U2.



https://music.apple.com/us/album/breaking-the-silence-remastered/1463751651

No comments: