Thursday, February 24, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - Atlanta Rhythm Section - Quinella

 Atlanta Rhythm Section - Quinella


#363

August 1981

Atlanta Rhythm Section

Quinella

Genre: Southern Rock

4 out of 5



Highlights:

Homesick

Higher




You know what band I am supposed to love and, even though I’ve owned a couple of their records, just could never quite get there? 

Drive-by Truckers. I mean, I listened to Southern Rock Opera a few times and I really enjoyed it but I never went back to it after a couple listens. 

And, while I am no expert, I feel like they are the reincarnation of this album. It has the same confident yet laconic musicianship that they do and it really bites when it wants to. 

From the honky tonk piano of “Quinella” to the Eagles-esque soft rock of “Alien” to the driving electricity of “Higher”, side one is a stellar example of adults in the studio knowing how to do the thing they’ve been doing and doing it well.

Let’s flip this thing over.

Starts off a little more twilight retrospective boogie on “You’re So Strong” and Keeps the mellow Eagles flavor going on “Outlaw Music”. The easy listening is a nice respite from the top side. 

This is an excellent record from a band that I have never cared for. 



https://music.apple.com/us/album/quinella/874810235

No comments: