Thursday, February 24, 2022

The 1981 Listening Post - The Sidewalks - Here Are the Sidewalks

 The Sidewalks - Here Are the Sidewalks



#369

1981 Housekeeping

The Sidewalks

Here Are the Sidewalks

Genre: Power Pop

4 out of 5


Highlights:

Let Me Out

The Beat

Nice Guys Are Always Number Two




I talk a lot about Red Snerts. You could look it up but we’ll get to it. It was a collection of local bands from the Red Gulcher label that I found in a bin in a thrift store (along with Doug and the Slugs!!!) in NY one day. 

Gosh, I loved being a teenager and just wandering the streets of NY while my parents were doing their importing/exporting stuff. They had no issue with me just walking around as long as I was back at a predetermined time. That was a different time. A different NY. Harder. Scrappier. And a lot of junk all over the place.

I loved that Red Snerts album.

The Sidewalks sound so much like that record. Especially The Gizmos “he Midwest Can Be Alright”. 

Jittery, excited and full of teen wannabeism. It’s not about musicianship, it’s about banging out ditties in your garage. 

I love that.

There’s a band that these guys sort of remind me of called The Drums. They are an indie surf band from he past few years and they don’t realllllly sound like each other but I feel like they would have been great on the same bill at a festival in Coney Island. 


Thing is, this is not a real release. These are singles and recordings that the band made that weren’t released in a collected form until 2004 or so. But we are listening to them as a 1981 record cuz, that’s when it should have been released. And we are the better for it. 


The playlist is not in the band camp order but that doesn’t matter. These are just fun little tunes and it doesn’t really matter what order you hear them.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6f-j36-gXA&list=PLlvn8uktX5LsD9juGshapYqZlY5MhJ-HZ

No comments: