Friday, February 8, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Sparks - Pulling Rabbits Out of a Hat

Sparks - Pulling Rabbits Out of a Hat


#137
June 1 1984
Sparks
Pulling Rabbits Out of a Hat
3.25 out of 5


Highlights:
Pulling Rabbits Out of a Hat
Pretending to Be Drunk

I love the lead single off this record but I am fully aware that it’s not a very good song, considering their track record. It’s an attempt to continue their dance success of In Outer Space but it suffers from one of the things I hate that Queen would often do: Find a phrase, make that the chorus, write a song around it that isn’t all that interesting or really well informed by the any subject. Sometimes Sparks could pull this off (“Angst in My Pants”) but here it borders on annoying. That said, I love the ominous chase music that goes with it.
The album moves but it’s not very inspiring. I like it more than, say Blancmange and definitely more than I did when it came out. It’s a far cray from the Kimono days but it has a tiny spark of that Gleaming Spires sound. 

No comments: