Wednesday, February 20, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - The Beasts of Bourbon - The Axeman's Jazz

The Beasts of Bourbon - The Axeman's Jazz


#197
July 1984
The Beasts of Bourbon
The Axeman’s Jazz
3.75 out of 5

Highlights:
Psycho

Wow, is this dark. Dark and hilarious. I guess this was some sort of Aussie Traveling Wilburys of sorts. I’m hesitant to call it a “supergroup”. It’s part Cramps, part Hank Williams, part Mojo Nixon I guess? What came out of one recording session is some demented roots rock that could be the sound of a drunken band falling apart or a bunch of like minded pub rockers who are too soused to worry about getting it all too right. By the time I get to “Graveyard Train” I guess the album is working cuz all I wanna do is drive a truck across the middle of the country at 2 in the morning looking for my next kill. Or drink. Or maybe both. 
It loses my interest by the second half as it really is just the perfect kind of record to put on at 1:30 AM in the local dive bar. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0o28fi8I8Y

No comments: