Tuesday, February 26, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Queensryche - The Warning

Queensryche - The Warning


#232
September 7 1984
Queensryche 
The Warning
3.75 out of 5


Highlights:
Before the Storm

The only things I know about Queensryche are that big ballad hit they had in the 90s, the ubiquitous one that aired all the fucking time and that, when looking for Queen stuff I would momentarily get excited that there was something I didn’t know about only to be crushed under the realization that it was this fucking band. 
So, now I will listen. 
Oh, ye children of Halford. Ye emulators of Dio. Disciples of Dickenson. How many of you are there?!?
How do you even start a band like this?
“Wanted, musicians for a prog-Metal project. Not as satanic as Sabbath or as aggressive as Maiden but in that wheelhouse. Lead singer must have aspirations of regality and soaring falsetto. No punks need apply!”
I’m bored. I’m on a plane slogging through this. 
Why the umlaut? Is that necessary? Crue has two, you know. And they are about excess. Which makes sense. Queensryche is not quite excessive. Almost but just a touch away from the edge of insanity. So, one umlaut. 
This record could be one long track. Each sound so similar and indistinguishable from the rest. It’s the only “metal” album I’ve heard that is easy to read to. *
My sojourn into the skies with mono-umlauts was just fine. But I can’t imagine ever coming back to this. 


*currently reading Aaron James’s “Assholes”.

No comments: