Thursday, February 14, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Pseudo Echo - Autumnal Park

Pseudo Echo - Autumnal Park


#164
June 1984
Pseudo Echo
Autumnal Park
3.75 out of 5

Highlights:
A Beat for You
Stranger in Me
Destination Unknown


This Australian band’s leadoff single comes straight from the INXS/Midnight Oil template but works for me in ways that those other bands never seem to. It drives and moves but it’s also not too imposing, political or overt. Sure it sounds like hit-a-brick-hit-a-synth-band and maybe the world really didn’t need another Kajagoogoo or Duran Duran or Ultravox but this offering isn’t the worst out there. When they double down on classic New Wave tropes (“Stranger in Me”) they conjure good memories of classic Gary Numan/Split Enz which is what I think they were going for. Other times I’m reminded of And Also the Trees and I’m not sure we needed another one. 
I have no good link since I had to cobble this together from various YouTube links. Sorry. 

No comments: