Friday, February 8, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - The Dream Syndicate - Medicine Show

The Dream Syndicate - Medicine Show


#140
June
The Dream Syndicate
Medicine Show
3 out of 5

Highlights:
John Coltrane Stereo Blues 

How did I get confused? I thought Dream Syndicate was a British group. Not a Los Angeles Velvet Underground/Lou Reed wannabe band. 
Anyways. I’m looking for something to grab me and there’s nothing. It’s perfectly fine opening band music. The INXS sounding “Armed with an Empty Gun” is the closest we get to something fun or even close to memorable but that’s undone by its own gigantic helping of self importance. Following it with “Bullet with My Name@ can’t be an accident. But it is pretentious and not backed up by skilled songsmithing. 
I was expecting some psychedelic dream pop. This is attempted Goth rock. But 45 Grave has nothing to worry about, Dream Syndicate isn’t even close. 
I will say that a bumpy landing into the snow covered Victoria at twilight is better when “John Coltrane Stereo Blues” is the soundtrack. 


No comments: