Friday, February 8, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - The Deep Freeze Mice - I Love You Little Bobo with Your Delicate Golden Lions

The Deep Freeze Mice - I Love You Little Bobo with Your Delicate Golden Lions


#136
1984 Housekeeping
The Deep Freeze Mice
I Love You Little Bo Bo w/Your Delicate Golden Lions 
3 out of 5

Highlights:
Polanski’s Dog
Whose Afraid of Humans?
All Through the Summer

I have no point of reference for this band. They defy description. Well, except that they named this album after a line in an Allen Ginsburg poem, The Lion for Real. They seem to be a local rock/new wave/post-punk band with an indeterminate genre. Some of it is just acoustic noodling. Other parts are actual songs. I have no other way to describe it. 
This is a double album. Side One is the aforementioned collection of…songs…or noise…or semi-instrumental compositions. It’s weird. 
Side Two is the 25 minute “Untitled” which is just a free form…jazz? No, that can’t be right…improvisation? Not really. It sounds like a high school jazz ensemble…warming up. And every so often a child comes in, picks up and instrument and starts blowing in it, pr banging on it…it’s formless but, hey, why not, right? If you play this, there’s a very good chance that whoever is in your house will ask you if there is a band getting ready to play in the next room. 
Then there’s some new wave beat suite…about 14 minutes worth, which turns into New Wave Odyssey while exhausting itself.
There’s (to me) delightful chaos in the battle between coherence and chaos on a bunch of tracks, most notably, “Thunderbirds”. I don’t know if I can recommend this album, but I admire it’s existence. 

No comments: