Tuesday, February 26, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Jethro Tull - Under Wraps

Jethro Tull - Under Wraps



#230
September 7 1984
Jethro Tull
Under Wraps 
1.5 out of 5


If this is your favorite Jethro Tull album, you are a bad person.
If this is your favorite album, you can’t be in this group anymore. (Martin Barre says this is his favorite Tull record. I Guess that says it all. He’s not allowed in here)
Imagine being Ian Anderson and thinking, “Hey, our songs are good enough that it doesn’t matter if we use synthesizers and drum machines to record them.” Imagine being that wrong about something and yet having been around for 15 years. 
Maybe that’s not totally fair. I loved Broadsword and that has a lot of synths on it. But, these drums. Ugh. On the title track I am left at odds; part of me appreciates the gleeps and blips and the other, more rational brain hates everything about everything on it. 


If you’re a Tull fan and your response to this album is, “yeah, not their best…” you are equivocating and being a Tull apologist. I get it. I found much to love on Adam Ant’s Strip. I’ve been known to defend Queen’s Hot Space. But do Tull fans LISTEN to this record? Ever?
True Story: This album would get a half point higher rating if the song “European Legacy” was, instead, “European Leprosy”, which is how I sing it. 



No comments: