Tuesday, February 19, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - David Sylvian - Brilliant Trees

David Sylvian - Brilliant Trees


#187
July 7 1984
David Sylvian
Brilliant Trees
2.25 out of 5


Disjointed at times, lush at others. I found Japan hit or miss in the past. I prefer the commerciality of the New Romantics who took the sound to the radio. This is the logical groggy outgrowth of that tributary for me. I don’t hate it. I don’t feel like I missed anything, though. 
I had to leave this for a couple hours to make dinner and sit with the fam and, completely forgot where I was. Damn, it’s midway through “Red Guitar” and I’m pretty sure Sylvian is just making it all up as he goes. 
Did you ever wonder what David Bowie would sound like if he decided to record Gary Numan songs whilst on Ambient? Listen to “Backwaters”. Awful. 


No comments: