Tuesday, February 19, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Dio - The Last in Line

Dio - The Last in Line


#183
July 2 1984
Dio
The Last in Line
4 out of 5

Highlights:
We Rock
I Speed at Night
One Night in the City
Evil Eyes

With no apologies I declare that I loved Holy Diver. When I listened to The Last in Line on that journey of Sabbath/Purple so many years ago, this shocked me. I was fully prepared to hate it. But, nope. Loved it. But, of course, the sequel had to suck, right? Uh uh. From the opener, “We Rock” this is mind melting metal. 
Who knew that I was such a headbanger? I’ve only been to one “Metal” concert in my life. Ozzy, on Blizzard of Ozz. I don’t buy metal records. Don’t go out of my way to know anything about them or the artists. Couldn’t name you a metal group from the last 25 years without strain. But, when a good one comes on, like on the Listening Post project, I love it. 
This is Holy Diver Part II. Need some speed metal? Sure. "We Rock" will take care of that nicely, thank you. and a few tracks later, so will "I Speed at Night, an awesome shreddattack. Some epic stadium anthem-metal? How about "The Last in Line"? Radio Friendly Groove metal? "One Night in the City"'s got ya covered. 
From top to bottom, there are no surprises here just good solid formula rawk. If you liked Dover, you’ll enjoy this one. 

No comments: