Friday, February 22, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Red Hot Chili Peppers



#211
August 10 1984
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Red Hot Chili Peppers
1.75 out of 5


When I was working at the video store in the West Village the bosses hired a manager. I have nothing of interest to say about her save that she came in one day and was talking a LOT about this band she had seen the night before. The Red Hot Chili Peppers. She could not stop talking about how amazing they were. 
And then they were tucked away in my brain until a few years later when they broke big. And, of course I had one or two of their big releases. But I never went all the way back to where the beginnings of 90s alternative sprang. 
Some of it is here with the quasi-funk/proto-post punk/near metal/wanna be rap of this album. 
I appreciate what Flea and Martinez (1st drummer) re doing on the opening track but I want to chew my arm off when the rap starts in “Baby Appeal”, (and the equally shitty “Green Heaven”) which makes Marky Ramone’s venture seem almost admirable. 
And it just gets worse from there. 
Omg, RHCP have been recording for 35 years. 1949 was 35 years prior to that. 
Here’s a true thing: Anthony Kiedis is the worst thing about this band. 


No comments: