Thursday, February 14, 2019

The 1984 Listening Post - Icehouse - Sidewalk

Icehouse - Sidewalk


#165
June 25 1984
Icehouse
Sidewalk
2out of 5

Highlights:
Taking this Town

The general consensus is that this is an awful record, significantly worse than the band’s Primitive Man, which I thought was incredibly mediocre.
I actually like the first track, the driving “Taking this Town”…a few years ago a woman I knew from the Prodigy days, not the band, the computer service, from the Queen boards lost her husband and, eventually, married a friend of mine whose I also met on that service.
They divorced but he remained close and she stayed in my life, peripherally. Even came to see my band with her daughter. 
Then we lost touch until one day I mentioned on Facebook that I was no longer in need of the window AC units that my wife and I had in the garage since we installed central air. She asked if she could buy one, since they were cheap. Her new husband showed up and bought one. Nice guy. 
He was the keyboardist for Icehouse on this album. 
I don’t know how I feel about that story. Kind of how I don’t know how I feel about this band. Or this album. It’s not as awful as others say. But it’s not great. Iva Davies definitely sounds like he thinks he’s the shit. He is not. he’s another in a long line of synth-rockers only Icehouse had some big guitars to go along with the swirling keyboards. But, man does he wish he was David Bowie. I wish he would stop making albums. 

No comments: