Tuesday, September 22, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Stiv Bators - Disconnected

 Stiv Bators - Disconnected


#465

December 1980

Stiv Bators

Disconnected

Genre: Power Pop…?

3.5 out of 5



Highlights:
The Last Year 



Requisite 80s Cover: The Electric Prunes’ “Too Much to Dream”. I had to go back and hear the original which really bites hard on The Stones on that era. The Prunes version is more ominous than Stiv’s. Stick with the original. 


Guys…did the Plimsouls steal their “A Million Miles Away” from Stiv Bators??? I mean, listen to it. I have to think about Peter Case differently now. On the one hand I’m glad he listened to stuff by Bators and Dead Boys but on the other hand…

Am I wrong?


I don’t get this record. It’s nowhere near as good as The Dead Boys last record. it reminds of when Joey Ramone put out that solo record. All of it was good but something was missing. 

And that’s what’s happening here. I like the songs, hate the production and wasn’t expecting it to be as poppy as it is. 

I think you can see where Bators is headed with Lords of the New Church and I really want to put songs like “Swingin’ a Go-Go” and “Make Up Your Mind” on the highlights but they aren’t fully formed. Or they are and the producers are just inept. 


This album is confusing. The Bators-penned tracks come at the end and, honestly, I think I prefer them to most of the rest of the record. 


https://music.apple.com/us/album/disconnected/282550542

No comments: