Thursday, September 10, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Prince - Dirty Mind

 Prince - Dirty Mind


#378

October 8 1980
Prince
Dirty Mind
Genre: Yeah, yeah, I know, but it’s fucking Prince, Tom. 
4.5 out of 5

Highlights:
Dirty Mind
When You Were Mine
Sister
Party

I just got new headphones.
For a while I was using AirPods but I lost them and I replaced them with AirPods Pros. But the thing is, my ears are weirdly shaped and I had to use the smallest cover. And then…something happened. They really hurt me. Like they would cause skin damage. Yeah, yeah, I know, I play music too loud. But that didn’t seem to be the problem. It’s a skin in the inner ear issue. I had together drops. It’s not music listening related. It’s an actual epidermal condition. 
Anyway, I bought the bullet and purchased a pair of Beats Studio 3s. I had Beats a few years ago but I was mugged in broad daylight in Culver City and they broke my headphones while trying to steal them. 
So I forgot what it’s like to have truly immersive headgear. 

Holy crap did I pick the right album to fire up for these to debut with. 

Did Prince single handedly create the 80s? I mean, sure there was Trevor Horn and those Buggles and a host of other bands and producers and musicians but, from the opening pulse of “Dirty Mind” I hear everything that the decade came to employ. I mean, this even sounds like Queen. Especially like The Game’s Queen. 
Do we even remember that “When You Were Mine” was Prince’s before Cyndil Lauper Top 40’d it? Both versions are terrific. The fact that the Purple One wrote it is like Springsteen handing “Fire” to The Pointer Sisters. 

The record gets a bit sophomoric around “Head” but fortunately for us, it’s downright lascivious with “Sister”. 

No comments: