Tuesday, September 22, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - The Mo-dettes - The Story So Far

 The Mo-dettes - The Story So Far


#455

1980 Housekeeping

The Mo-Dettes

The Story So Far

Genre: Post-Punk

2.25 out of 5



Requisite 80s cover: “Paint It Black”. A bass heavy, Raincoat-y rhythm indulgence that adds nothing to that ominous track except to just exist. 


Ok. I’ll admit it right here. I am not a fan of The Raincoats. I know they are critics darlings and I loved their first self-titled album, but oh man, I hated everything about Odyshape. Couldn’t wait for that self-indulgence to end. And I’ve never been much of a fan of The Slits, at least not what I’ve heard. 

So, here we have a poppier project by an ex-member of those bands. And it falls flat all over the place. You can take the girl out of the post-punk experimental art rock band but you can’t take the post-punk experimental art rock out of the girl. 

Damn shame, cuz I am always looking for all-girl bands to add to a certain playlist. But instead of an All Girl Summer Fun Band we get the All Girl Autumn No-Fun Band. Don’t be fooled by that cartoon cover. This isn’t Josie and the Pussycats. 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USu2tZuBHMA

No comments: