Friday, September 11, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - The Numbers - The Numbers

 The Numbers - The Numbers


#401

The Numbers
The Numbers
Genre: Aussie New Wave
4 out of 5 

Highlights:
Hello
When You Get Older
Partys


This album is frustrating. It starts off so numbingly pedestrian and then, as it continues, they show the chops they held back at the beginning. I’ve heard of “front loading” and even “back loading” but, “middle loading”? 
It’s not until deep into Side One that we get The Cars meets Blondie on Jaeger and Coke on “Hello” which dumps right into the terrific closer “When I get Older”. Those come after some really mediocre writing, playing and singing. 
The whole album seems to have been put in the wrong order. 
Cuz once I got deep into it I wanted more. Somewhere around the middle of Side 2 they sound like…X. Like 1st album X. And I’m not sure how that happens. 
Fun record, wonder what else they might put for us? 


No comments: