Friday, September 11, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Joe Jackson - Beat Crazy

 Joe Jackson - Beat Crazy


#416

by Tom Mott

October 25 1980

Joe Jackson

Beat Crazy

Allen’s Rating: 3 out of 5

Tom’s Rating: 3.8 Closer to a 3.5 but extra points for stretching out


Genre: Dissonant Garage Reggae


Highlights:

Beat Crazy

One to One 

Crime Don't Pay

Pretty Boys



This album sits between Joe Jackson's first two "angry punk" albums and his abrupt turn to swing music with Jumpin' Jive. I loved all three of those albums. This one though. I ordered it blind. I dug the album cover, but I didn't know what make of the music. Angular, jarring, repetitive, dissonant. No singles. Nothing to play for a friend and say "Listen to what I discovered."


Listening 40 years later -- FORTY YEARS!?!?? -- it makes a lot more sense to me. A challenging mash up of reggae and ska beats, surf guitars, jazz piano, and garage fuzz. What's it like? It's a thing unto itself. It's not like The Clash, The Police, or The Specials. Rhoda Dakar maybe? I can't say I'll put it into regular rotation, but a couple of these songs will be a welcome addition to mixes -- and would have been really fun in a small club in 1980. 


I normally like Joe Jackson's distinctive voice. (His guest vocals on Common People with William Shatner and Ben Folds are PERFECT.) But his voice is especially harsh on this album. Maybe some of these songs would have benefitted from female vocalists. 


P.S. Graham Maby kills it on every song with his basslines. That man is an unsung hero.


https://open.spotify.com/album/0WOfjbwCkyhxM9dnmUvif4?si=COEdW91tQSmQzXpK0OE_5w

No comments: