Thursday, September 10, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Status Quo - Just Supposin'

 Status Quo - Just Supposin'


#384 

October 17 1980 LISTENING POST ADMIN DISCOVERY
Status Quo
Just Supposin’
Genre: Power Glam Pub Pop
4.5 out of 5


Highlights:
What You’re Proposing
Run to Mummy
Don’t Drive My Car
Lies



Dammit. 
This is also not available on the streamers. But, I made the mistake of listening to the opener on Apple Music as it’s one of Quo’s biggest hits and it sounds freaking delicious. However, since the rest of the album ISN’T available, we are relegated to YouTube and someone’s personal rip of the record and it sounds terrible. 
But this record doesn’t sound terrible. It sounds like Status Quo. A band that I should know a LOT better since they opened for Queen a bunch of times. But I never investigated them. 
This is right in that Nick Lowe/Bay City Rollers/Paul McCartney nexus (that I bet they actually invented if not perfected) and it really works. Each track has me wanting to search Ultimate Guitar for chords and anxious to get to learnin’ some Quo. 
From what I understand this is a bit of a departure for Status Quo, but I can’t really speak to it since I have only heard one other record of theirs and it’s from 1986. But, listen to “Over the Edge” and tell me that they aren’t kin to Cheap Trick. 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA7JjreSl-32XAZGLAbHwXH7Ape2nFzlN

No comments: