Thursday, September 10, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Split Enz - True Colors

Split Enz - True Colors 



#394

by Rob Slater
June 24 1980
Split Enz
True Colors
Genre: Ican’tdecide and Neithercanthey
Allen’s Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Rob’s Rating: 3.75 out of 5

Highlights: 
I Got You 
What's the Matter with You 

Beware. Harsh review. (Or it was initially.) 

I loved Crowded House, but this leaves me thinking, “Wow, that was eclectic.” But it’s not pop or guitar enough for me. 

Side 1 
1. I Got You. Genre: OcasekPowerPop 
2. Shark Attack. Genre: SpeedMetaLite SurfNewWavePunk
3. What's the Matter with You. Genre: TheKnack FiftiesKitsch. Great Hammond B3 sound & lyrics. Never mind. What I thought I heard was way more interesting than the actual lyrics. “Gonna keep an eye on you, I'll be your dictator So you better buck up or I'll manip-you-later So beat the drum; not be the trumpet playa You gotta let go In the heat of the moment you reap what you sow” Instead of... “Gonna keep an eye on you, I'll be your dictator So you better buck up or I'll deal with you later So beat the drum and let the trumpet blow You gotta let go. In the heat of the moment you reap what you sow”
4. Double Happy. Genre: SpacePop. Could I get a Single Happy?
5. I Wouldn't Dream of It. Genre: CubanCars. Which means a hint of 50s.
6. I Hope I Never. Genre: Show Tune. Best track since “I Got You.” Rob’s listening mechanism checks out every time he gets to this point.

If somebody loaned me this LP in the early 80s I wouldn’t have made it through Side 1. Which is a shame as I like Side 2 better.

Side 2

7. Nobody Takes Me Seriously. Genre: NewWave. Decent song.
8. Missing Person. Genre: RUSHlite. Another decent song penned by Brother Neil.
9. Poor Boy. Genre: WannabeWhiteBoy 50sPopNewWave.
10. How Can I Resist Her. Genre: PowerPopJangle
11. The Choral Sea" ([Instrumental] Genre: ElectronicaDancePop Either too many repetition lyrics or no lyrics at all. 

Every song is half again too long for my taste. Which is pretty amazing considering they are all about 3 minutes! I had to sit down and skip breakfast in order to appreciate the second half.

No comments: