Tuesday, September 22, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Sector 27 - Sector 27

 Sector 27 -  Sector 27


 #443

November 11 1980

Sector 27 (Tom Robinson)

Sector 27

Genre: New Wave

4 out of 5



Highlights:

Invitation: What Have We Got to Lose

Not Ready

Can’t Keep Away




Few albums have sounded like crossing the transom from 70s punk to 80s experimentation than this one. I readily admit that Tom Robinson is someone I have no experience with but I do have deep memories of reading about/following/listening to works by Steve Lillywhite, the wunderkind who is partially responsible for the framework of that entire decade. And he produces this album. Boy, is it something. I am reminded of Peter Gabriel throughout but not in that cold, paternal, distancing way. Instead, I feel more engulfed in the passion that Tom and the rest are bringing to the fray. It’s like if David Bowie was a band and not…David Bowie. 

Weirdly, and flying in the face of my theory, is that, most of the album is co-written by Robinson and Jo Burt and those songs don’t hold up as strongly as the solo Robinson joints. 

Personal favorite is the B-52s/XTC hybrid “”Can’t Keep Away”. But I also appreciate the Mod-Revival of “Total Recall”, although I don’t think it plays to Lillywhite’s strengths. 

Ugly album cover. Pretty terrific little spinner. 


YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGjCzjANmig&list=PLlvn8uktX5LvJYRAyTHmOrNBKYATktkxH

No comments: