Thursday, September 10, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Randy Meisner - One More Song

 Randy Meisner - One More Song


#372

October 1 1980
Randy Meisner
One More Song
Genre: Rock
3.75 out of 5



Highlights:
Hearts On Fire
Deep Inside My Heart
One More Song



Honestly? For absolutely no good reason I always thought “Hearts On Fire” was Eddie Rabbit. It was definitely one of those songs that played on the top forty station we listened to in the kitchen in the back of the Acadia Restaurant in Bar Harbor.
The Acadia was a small town greasy spoon and my first real job outside of working for my family.
I was the dishwasher. 
Dennis was the fry cook. You know that cliche about demented cooks with a sketchy past? That was Dennis. If he didn’t like a customer, or even just the way the customer looked at him, or, let’s face it, the way the customer looked, Dennis would spit in his salad before the server brought it out. 
One day that I was on the receiving end of Dennis’ ire. The girl he was sleeping with came back to the kitchen and cupped my ass while I was washing the plates. It was totally unexpected. I didn’t know her. Never saw her before ( I actually didn’t see her until after this incident)
Dennis didn’t like that. 
He walked up to me, smiling, hooked his index finger, which seemed to made up of nothing but muscle, into my lower mouth and dragged me by the jaw to the floor. I thought he was going to knee me in the face but, thankfully, he was merciful.
Dennis quit not long after that. 
There are other stories about the Acadia. Not a lot but enough that I like to revisit that place in my mind…
Ah….summer. 
Oh. Meisner. 
It’s possible that Randy has the most purely 70s clean and clear rock voice of all the Eagles. In a way he reminds me of Lindsey Buckingham. Surely these songs have that Lindsey feel. It’s SoCal guitar rock. Laying out on the beach? Put this in your ears and you’ll be chill, bro.

No comments: