Friday, September 11, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Budgie - Power Supply

 Budgie - Power Supply


#407
October 1980

Budgie

Power Supply
Genre: Early Metal Band finds their inner AC/DC
3.75 out of 5



Highlights:
Forearm Smash
Heavy Revolution



I was confused. I thought this Budgie was the drummer for Siouxie Soux. Not a blues based metal band from Cardiff.
This sort of sound is right in my wheelhouse, in fact, I think my band could be legitimately accused of trying to sound like “Forearm Smash” on our song “Rubberburner”. Um…Jon? 
 
Did Budgie ever tour with AC/DC? Did they always sound this aggro-licktastic?When Bon Scott died, why didn’t the Young brothers ask Burke Shelley to doing as his replacement? I mean, Brian is amazing but this seems like the logical choice. Or maybe they did and were turned down. Who knows? 

If riffs and solos are your jam and you’ve heard all of AC/DC’s catalog and are looking for some more of that, I would have no problem recommending Power Supply. I could do without the Roger Watersian “Time to Remember” but that’s picking nits. The rest of the record is pretty solid. 


No comments: