Thursday, September 10, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Joe "King" Carrasco and the Crowns -Joe "King" Carrasco and the Crowns

 Joe "King" Carrasco and the Crowns - Joe "King" Carrasco and the Crowns



#381

October 10 1980
Joe “King” Carrasco and the Crowns
Joe “King” Carrasco and the Crowns
Genre: Neuvo Wavo Rock with Farfisa!
3.5 out of 5

Highlights:
Don’t Bug Me Baby
Buena

I have read the name Joe “King” Carrasco many times in my life and never once thought to investigate him. For some reason I associated him with the likes of Uncle Floyd. Music that shouldn’t be taken too seriously because, well, life shouldn’t be taken that seriously. 
I guess I wasn’t so far off. Listening to this it has that early 80s DIY house band for a public access show sound. 
Side note: Does anyone else think Conor Oberst’s voice is a match for Joe’s? This is neither and insult nor a compliment, it’s just an observation. Buuuut…Conor’s voice does sound like someone who is afraid his voice is gonna crack at any moment…and then it sort of does. I kind of hate it and I also sort of appreciate it. 
Which I guess means I feel the same way about Joe’s. 
And the songs are what I  would expect to be playing the midway at a summer traveling carnival/weenie roast. Which means I want to listen to them in the background while I eat a loaded Dodger Dog and ride the tilt-a-wheel.
Joe and the Crowns may be playing in 1980 but this music is straight out of 1966.

The original release’s track order is twisted around on the stream. But all the songs are there. 

No comments: