Thursday, September 10, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Johnny Cash - Rockabilly Blues

 Johnny Cash - Rockabilly Blues



#374

September 22 1980
Johnny Cash
Rockabilly Blues
Genre: Rock and Roll
3.5 out of 5


Highlights:
Rockabilly Blues




Ok, here goes my crit cred: 
It took me until my mid 30s to finally get around to Johnny Cash. Yeah. I know. Shut up.
And here’s what’s worse: It came through the Rick Rubin resurrection of American Recordings.
I know!!! Shut! Up!
Yes, yes, it was because of his Nine Inch Nails cover of “Closer”. 
ALL RIGHT ALREADY!
Ugh.

And then I heard the Folsom Prison live album and I really got it. 
Cash has such a paternal, don’t give a fuck persona that even when he phones it in that dirt under the fingernails stink of the auto repair shop still comes through more so than any other recording artist I can think of. 
Lemmy works there times as hard to sound like a man than Cash does. 
He is what you get if you ask an artist to sculpt the voice of Rock and Country into a mountain. 
And he takes this pedestrian collection into him black cloaked arms and lifts it up just enough for it to be more than passable. 


No comments: