Monday, January 14, 2019

The 1983 Listening Post - The Three O'Clock - Sixteen Tambourines

The Three O'Clock - Sixteen Tambourines

1983 Housekeeping
The Three O’Clock
Sixteen Tambourines
4 out of 5
Highlights:
Jet Fighter
When Lightning Starts
If you like R.E.M. you’re gonna dig this. If you like late 60’s psychedelic pop ala Strawberry Alarm Clock and REM, you will love this. A progenitor of Belle & Sebastian with a lot more energy this is on the early edge of twee. I can’t help it, I like it.
In the early 2000s there was an ad hoc, slapped together Silverlake band called Irving. Their record was retro twee with deep roots in this kind of pop and, to me, it was the first voices of the millennial generation, (“Did I Ever Tell You I’m In Love With Your Girlfriend” is a prime example of sweet twee beta male pop rock). And I loved their first record, “Good Morning, Beautiful”.
This reminds me of that. A lot. And the Monkees.
(Note: this is only for Sixteen Tambourines. Baroque Hoedown was an ep released the year before.  )

No comments: