Monday, January 14, 2019

The 1983 Listening Post - Gary Numan - Warriors

Gary Numan - Warriors

September 16 1983
Gary Numan
Warriors
1.5 out of 5
Wow. How the mighty have fallen. When others, like Depeche Mode, are deepening the genre (and I still didn’t like their record this year) Gary, who helped invent it, now sounds like a relic. I know that this is but the tip of a downward spiral and I also know that he has his own issues but, looking at this cover, where our hero is replete in post-apocalyptic garb, one could be forgiven for expecting music that emulates it. It doesn’t. This is like a sequel to the bored and boring I, Assassin.
I do love this quote from Gary about this record:
“I thought that by getting in some of the best players and singers around I could make the albums more 'musical,' and that my own limitations would be less of a problem. What I actually did was progressively bury the very style that my fans had enjoyed. For a while I still sang, of course, but I swamped my own performances in huge layers of backing vocals. Musically I became much more of an arranger of noises than a musician, at least, that was how I felt. I didn't realise what I was doing, but with Warriors I was lighting the fires of what came close to being my funeral...If burying myself under the impressive performances of [other musicians and singers] was, ultimately, the wrong direction in which to be moving, it did give the albums some stunning musical moments. Warriors had as fine a bunch of players as it was possible to get.”
Yeah, it’s bad. And it only gets worse for the father of synth-wave.

No comments: