Monday, January 14, 2019

The 1983 Listening Post - Bauhaus - Burning from the Inside

Bauhaus - Burning from the Inside


#125
July 1983
Bauhaus
Burning from the Inside
3.75 out of 5
Highlights:
She’s in Parties
Antonin Artaud
Hope
While I likedIn the Flat Field & Mask enough, I was never really that much into Bauhaus (but I loved Love and Rockets first album, go figure. I guess Murphy was the one holding them back from mainstream pop success).
I thought of them the same way I think of The Cure: I like them while I’m listening but I forget that I listened to it. This is a weird one as Peter Murphy was too sick to work on the writing of the album (much like Brian may during Sheer Heart Attack, and that one turned out just fine, I think).
This one dances close to the edge of No-Wave (I guess it’s called “Post-Punk”? I get confused at the sub-genres) and I’m grateful for that. In the second half, during “Slice of Life” I can start to hear the seeds of L&R, it makes me excited to hear that record again.
The title track is hella pretentious. But, who expects anything less from Bauhaus? And ending the song on the bright “Hope” is almost a sarcastic kick in the head.

No comments: