Thursday, December 17, 2020

The 1981 Liustening Post - The Plugz - Better Luck

The Plugz - Better Luck 


1981 Housekeeping LISTENING POST ADMIN DISCOVERY

The Plugz

Better Luck

Genre: Punk (but not too Punk) Rock

4.5 out of 5



Highlights:

Red Eye #9

El Clavo Y La Cruz

Blue Sofa

Gas Line

Shifting Heart




One of the greatest Punk albums of the 80s was the Soundtrack to Repo Man. You don’t have to agree with me but if you do, I won’t even fight you. I’ll just sit back, comfortable in the knowledge that you are wrong as I eat sushi and not pay for it. 

The Plugz had a song on Side One of that soundtrack and I wish I could say that it was a favorite of mine but, alas, I used to fast forward (yes, it was on cassette) so I could get to the “Pablo Picasso” cover on Side Two. Too bad, since “El Clavo Y La Cruz” is a madcap little Spanish punk ala Madness joint. (Their version of “Secret Agent Man” is terrific, tho. And their album closer as well. In fact, that record is 1/4 The Plugz and I never noticed that!)


This album is a delicious amalgam of 60s garage band with Latino LA punk aesthetic. Where Los Lobos would take the edges off, The Plugs leave them right they need to be. 

Listening to “Gas Line” I really want to ask the guys in Ima Robot if they had this record. Cuz…how could they not have heard this??


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuhWvmTco74

No comments: