Sunday, December 27, 2020

The 1981 Listening Post - Status Quo - Never Too Late

 Status Quo - Never Too Late



#101

March 13 1981

Status Quo

Never Too Late

Genre: Status Quo

3.75 out of 5



Highlights:

Never Too Late

Don’t Stop Me Now


Requisite 80s cover: Chuck Berry’s “Carol”.  Talk about wearing your influence on your sleeve. The British retro-glammers (in which I include Nick Lowe among many others) were always a bit more Chuck Berry than they were Buddy Holly, weren’t they? 


Was Status Quo the British Cheap Trick? Are Cheap Trick the American Status Quo? Chronologically, it would have to be the latter. Either way, that’s what you are getting with Quo. Solidly written pop songs, played with Glam Pop accuracy. Those harmony drop ins on the title track chorus are a lost art. Something that belongs in 1974 and, even though it’s deeply anachronistic in 1981, it’s a welcome sound. 

I loved Just Supposin’ but I think this one is “Quo by the numbers”. This is the sound of a band that knows how to do something and can do it in their sleep. So they went to sleep and wrote a bunch of songs that sound like them.

But, again, I wish I had investigate Status Quo when I was younger. I seem to like them more than I don’t. 



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzspExG8VO0&list=PLmj07D0CvvvVVPmrdxGv6R19ZoE5kpZhp

No comments: