Thursday, December 10, 2020

The 1981 Listening Post - Brian Eno and David Byrne - My Life In The Bush of Ghosts

 Brian Eno and David Byrne - My Life In The Bush of Ghosts 

#62

By Lori Alley

February 1981

Brian Eno and David Byrne

My Life In The Bush of Ghosts - 

Genre: Experimental/Avant Rock

Allen’s Rating: 3 out of 5

Lori’s Rating 5+++++


Highlights: 

Help Me Somebody

America Is Waiting

Mountain of Needles

The Jezebel Spirit

Qu’ran

  Mea Culpa 

                       Okay!  All of them are highlights!!  Don’t make me choose!!!!!


Bibs up everyone, I’m gonna slobber all over this (sorry for that image, I think this album is a timeless work of art).  I was a junior in high school when this album came out.  Let’s just say that my friends and I were obsessed enough that we routinely quoted lines from it  - “do you hear voices?”  and Jim Vallette adopted his memorable new persona  “ Jezebel.”  


I learned somewhere along the way that the definition of a classic is that it can stand the test of time.  This album does that and , I would argue, is MORE relevant to the 2020 zeitgeist than it was 40 years ago. It’s almost as if it could predict the future.   If I made a movie “2020, The Year In Review” this would be it’s soundtrack.  And nobody would be the wiser (or want to watch the movie, either).  To me it sounds as fresh as it did all those years ago.  Side note:  For fans of this album I also highly recommend The Catherine Wheel (David Byrne) which is equally addictive and came out in Sept. of that year).  


The cool thing about this album, as weird as it seems at first glance, is that you can dance to it in your garage with a bunch of drunk people.  It is at once trippy, interesting, catchy, earwormy and yet somehow still unfathomable.  That’s a particularly Eno-esque trait, I know, but I think My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts is the ultimate example of his ability to do that musically.  Makes you think “hey wait, what IS this?  And yet also want to play it while you do housework.  


Not to get political, because really, enough already, but America Is Waiting.  


https://open.spotify.com/album/0uWpq6h99OaylNLXe2KPTR?si=xfE-7QbkQ7qpbeX_9x3miw

No comments: