Sunday, December 27, 2020

The 1981 Listening Post - Landscape - From the Tea-Rooms of Mars to the Hell Holes of Uranus

Landscape - From the Tea-Rooms of Mars to the Hell Holes of Uranus 


#109

March 1981

Landscape

From the Tea-Rooms of Mars to the Hell Holes of Uranus

Genre: SynthPop

2.5 out of 5



Highlights:

From the Tea-Rooms of Mars to the Hell Holes of Uranus


Uranus. 

Get it!? 

Ha ha.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Yeah. I was 15. 


I had a Landscape record. The ONLY reason is that Richard Burgess was the producer of all but two tracks on Adam Ant’s Strip. And yes, I’m the kid who cared who produced what. Like, I was super happy that Tony Visconti produced Vive Le Rock, not because he had worked with Bowie but because he had produced Sparks’ third part of that trilogy of great records, Indiscreet, an album I adored. 

I don’t know if anyone recalls that I wrote an email to Josh Kelly asking if his cover of “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” was done in the style of The Cars because they both shared Roy Thomas Baker as a producer. He replied in the affirmative. 

So, I like knowing who produces what. 

That’s why I had a Landscape record. 

Abut, here’s the thing. I don’t know WHICH landscape record I had. 

If you like your SynthPop to be groovy and, day I say, funky, ala MECO and M, check out this opener. “European Man” may be about nothing, a trifle, but it’s got everything Ron Mael wishes he had at the time. And since this is the way Sparks will ultimately head, he probably spent more than. A few minutes spinning the wannabe Techno Disco of Landscape. 

Alas, here we are, nearly 40 years later and a lot of this stuff sounds more like the soundtrack to Undertale, the online video game than it does relevant music.

Ah the tyranny of time. 


https://music.apple.com/us/album/from-the-tea-rooms-of-mars/824807767

No comments: