Thursday, December 10, 2020

The 1981 Listening Post - The Barracudas - Drop Out with the Barracudas

 The Barracudas - Drop Out with the Barracudas


#58

February 13 1981

The Barracudas

Drop Out with the Barracudas

Genre: Power Surf Pop

4 out of 5




I’ve listened to a lot of really uninteresting music in 1981. I mean, that’s bound to happen since I’ve handed off all the biger records to other Listening Posters. And that’s the gig. I get it. I heard those records on my own and the good research staff at The Listening Post: The 80s has done some stellar work unearthing the hundreds of albums I missed so I could really get through the entire rock catalog of the decade. 

But, after the banner year of 1980, it’s quite a surprise how uninteresting so much of the stuff released in the early part of 81 has been. Maybe I shouldn’t be surprised. After all, that’s when entertainment dumps off its detritus. Bad movies get dumped after Christmas. Garbage TV shows wait until its no longer Sweeps to put their castaways on. And that’s what seems to be happening in January-February 1981.

Is this an exception? Or is it good? 

It’s fine. It’s Power Pop. Bordering on Paisley Revival. They call it “Surf Punk” but it’s barely surf music. Sure, there’s some warbly fuzzy guitars but it feels more garagey to me 


https://music.apple.com/us/album/drop-out-with-the-barracudas/691267429

No comments: