Monday, December 28, 2020

The 1981 Listening Post - Willie Nile - Golden Down

 Willie Nile - Golden Down


#123

April 1 1981

Willie Nile

Golden Down

Genre: Rock!

4.75 out of 5




Highlights:

Poor Boy

Grenade

Golden Down

Champs Elysees



I had never heard of Willie Nile until I started listening to music from back in the 80s again and then I found myself in a very cool Rock themed hotel in St. John’s, Newfoundland and, right there in the lobby, amidst the Springsteen and Jagger was a framed picture of Willie. It was next to the hotel. And I had JUST heard his first album, which I adored. 

So, I’ve been looking forward to the follow up, which is his last record until 1991.

It’s bigger. But it’s also muddier. It has more Petty in it than it does Bruce. Willie crackles with the heart of a band leader at Max’s Kansas City on a Friday night in 1981, the band is whip smart and they are game for anything he throws at them. 

Does “I Like the Way” sounds d a little too like Dylan? Yeah. But the thing is, by this time, Dylan didn’t sound like Dylan and the world needs Dylan and if there’s a close enough approximation without seeming like he’s ripping him off entirely, this is it. 

And I don’t really love Bob but I liked this. 

There are some real scorchers on this thing, like the title track and “Hide Your Love” and it really never lets up. 


https://music.apple.com/us/album/golden-down/1313564637

No comments: