Thursday, December 10, 2020

The 1981 Listening Post - Alan Vega - Collision Drive

 Alan Vega - Collision Drive



#54

February 3 1981

Alan Vega

Collision Drive

Genre: New Welvis 

3.5 out of 5



Requisite 80s covers: 

“Be Bop a Lula”. Marrying this to the “Peter Gunn” aesthetic doesn’t really make it more ominous, which is what it feels like Vega is going for. I don’t hate it but I prefer the original madcap rock n roll to this. 

“Ghost Rider” a cover of a Suicide song. Was Suicide always like this? Why do they get such praise? This is boring. 


If you are an avid reader of The Listening Post you might know that, while Suicide represented a big hole in my musical vocabulary (and I have been properly chastised for it), my experience with their 80s output has been wanting. 

By this time the likes of Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe (and Elvis C and Squeeze and Mink DevIlle and Eddie Rabbit and….) are mining the rockabilly sound to much better effect. If you had this record and then heard Stray Cats I don’t think you ever pick this up again. 

I could probably write a dissertation on the intersection of The Residents and Lou Reed that is “I Believe” but that would take more time than I want to devote to this trifle. 

Here’s the gist: Find a riff, not a great one, put it to a groove, improvise mumbles and moans behind it, record it for a while and then fade out. 

Ugh. 

The droning protest of “Viet Viet” saves this thing for me. 





https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wy8lZVGefo&list=PLfqduFDkZftxtGALa_9MKaVF5v6NpQvw7

No comments: