Thursday, December 10, 2020

The 1981 Listening Post - 707 - The Second Album

 707 - The Second Album


#60

February 16 1981

707

The Second Album

Genre: More Power Glam Less Teeth

3.25 out of 5


Highlights:

Tonight’s Your Night

City Life




The funny thing about this record is that the cover looks exactly what I expected these guys to look like. Rock in ties and vests. And there’s a guy showing just a bit more chest hair. And a New Wave shirt. This is rock that wants you to *think* it’s corporate rock. They want to belong. They want to rock…you…corporate event. 

They want to be The Knack but they don’t seem lascivious enough (You know what I mean…”and it hurts!”

That opening track…that’s what the soundtrack of Wreck-It Ralph was going for. It’s a video game arcade. 

After that I had trouble listening because every time I went back to the record a wind machine spontaneously appeared in my living room and I had to put goggles on to keep the hair from billowing into my eyes. 

Like picking up the detritus from Styx and Loverboy and Foreigner and a host of other, stadium ready bands, there’s a reason 707 never made it to that next level. I mean, they got airplay at the time when stuff like this did and would but Aho talks about 707 today? 

Nobody.

That said…

I just love this kind of rock. Sue me. Imma go listen to Station after this. 


https://music.apple.com/us/album/the-second-album/420920271

No comments: