Sunday, December 27, 2020

The 1981 Listening Post - Yellow Magic Orchestra - BGM

 Yellow Magic Orchestra - BGM


#106

March 21 1981

Yellow Magic Orchestra

BGM

Genre: Synth…oh, so synth.

2 out of 5


Lowlights:

Rap Phenomena


I have a very high bar for “Techno” music. And by that I mean I really don’t have a bar. I just have stuff that effects me, that I like, that I appreciate and then, if it doesn’t match up to it, screw it, I’m going to be pretty harsh.

On the positive side there are groups like xex, with their sheer, got-their-first, snarky brilliance. Gary Numan, who was gifted to me by the girl I had a crush on and it turned out was pretty damned good. There was Upstairs at Eric’s, which came out of this project.

And a host of others.

Here’s Background Music by Yellow Magic Orchestra. It’s cold and confusing and dense and, to be honest, I don’t care for it. It’s as though they looked at Kraftwerk and decided to say, “Let’s to that! Only better!” And completely failed in that assignment. 

When Eno is out there shifting the conversation and Jarre is making catchy electroTunes, Harumi Hosono, Ryuchi Sakamoto and Yukihiro Takahashi aren’t them. They aren’t even M.

There’s so little vocals on this that I almost called “Instrumental!” on it. But, no, I slogged through. 

As Background Music goes this is terrible. Was this cutting edge and interesting in 1981? 

Imma say no.

Next.


https://music.apple.com/us/album/bgm/1291831675 





No comments: