Monday, December 28, 2020

The 1981 Listening Post - SPK - Information Overload Unit

 SPK - Information Overload Unit


#115

March 28 1981

SPK

Information Overload Unit

Genre: Early Industrial

1.5 out of 5



When I’m asked what my favorite movie is I tend to balk or come up with a standard answer that defects the conversation in some way. 

It’s easier to say, I dunno, The Godfather or Stripes or Magnolia or Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, than to engender the quizzical looks from people when I answer with the truth. Which is that my favorite movie of all time is David Lynch’s Eraserhead. 

I read about it first in a review of The Elephant Man in Time magazine and I was intrigued. 

I saw it with the girl across the hall in my NYU dorm at the midnight show at the 8th St. Playhouse.

I took my 13 year old brother to it.

I bought the 2000 DVD, which has zero chapter stops so you HAVE to watch the whole thing. I showed it to Beth and Jon Rosenberg while he was housesitting in the Hollywood Hills. 

I talk about it ceaselessly. 

I patterned my student films on that movie’s aesthetic to the point where my film teacher said, “We have one David Lynch, we don’t need another.”

I put the picture of the “baby” on my wall. 

I had the album and I listened to it. A lot. 

That’s what this album is. The 85% of that soundtrack which is just noise created by Alan Splet and Lynch is what seems to have inspired this record. 

That this album doesn’t have Peter Ivers singing “In Heaven” is to its ultimate failing since even Lynch proved with that that he had something of a sense of humor. Warped as it was. 


I normally would eschew this but it said it had “vocals” so…


If what you want is feedback with indecipherable Orwellian broadcast warnings, this is the album for you. I particularly enjoyed “Stammheim Torturkammer”. Wait, I meant to type “root canal”. Damn, autocorrect. 



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1DEHbZQT8k

No comments: