Monday, August 24, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - White Boy and the Average Rat Band - White Boy and the Average Rat Band

 White Boy and the Average Rat Band - White Boy and the Average Rat Band



#257

1980 Housekeeping
White Boy and the Average Rat Band
White Boy and the Average Rat Band
Genre: Garage metal
4 out of 5


Highlights:
Neon Warriors
The Prophet Song


Originally limited to 300 copies, this Priest-ly band is almost completely unknown. This is not shriek-y witch metal, it’s also strewn with synthesizers and New Wave electro robot sounds (Section 387). With better production perhaps it’s a classic, I don’t know. I know that we are all better off for having heard it. 
I had this playing on speakers in my garage and was loving every second of it and then the psychedelic metal of “The Prophet Song” came on and required the wearing of headphones to immerse myself into the experience. 
The hard left turn to blues rock on “Blue Moon” is a perfect palette cleanser cuz, the closer “Oriental Doctors” is an attempt at an epic. It’s sure mind blending Blues Metal but it’s sadly not great. 

I can only wonder what WB&tARB might have done had they been afforded better opportunity. Seems the time was ripe for this exact sound. I bet they would have killed on a Monsters of Rock stage. 

No comments: