Thursday, August 27, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - The Members - 1980 - The Choice is Yours

The Members - 1980 - The Choice is Yours 



#284

July 1980
The Members
1980 - The Choice is Yours
Genre: Punk—ish. 
3.75 out of 5


Highlights:
Romance
Brian Was
Normal People

With this name I expected it to be more crass. But I also hate Crass so I’m glad it doesn’t sound like that. I once tried to convince someone that I could play “punk” by just picking up his guitar and bashing on it. 
He never let me touch his guitar again.
He never spoke to me again.
I don’t know whatever happened to him. I’m pretty sure I never saw him again. 
His name was Gus. 
He knew better than I did. 
This is only punk if you decide to call it that. Cuz it’s not punk. Not as we knew it or would come to know it. Remember when The Clash lost their way and followed Don Letts into the reggae world? This is the band that fell in love with that version of The Clash. 
All of that said, this album is a lot more interesting than the reviews online would lead you to believe. Perhaps it’s because it’s different than their previous record. I don’t know. I’ve never heard that one. This one? It’s actually got more jazz in it than I would have expected. Not as much as Gone. But I don’t need that. 




No comments: