Thursday, August 27, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - The Associates - The Affectionate Punch

 



#297

August 1 1980

The Associates
The Affectionate Punch
Genre: This is David Bowie, right? Right!?!?
3.75 out of 5



Highlights:
The Affectionate Punch

The first thing that came to mind when “The Affectionate Punch” fired up was “Man, this sounds like David Bowie. Like, how is this not Scary Monsters Bowie? And then I thought, nah…it sounds like Boys Keep Swinging Bowie. 
And what was this band’s first single?
“Boys Keep Swinging”. 
It’s not on the album, as it was a single, but I listened to it anyway. 
No, I don’t say this to detract from the record, quite the contrary, I think it’s delightful that there are more than one group of musicians who are trafficking in this awkwardly art rock design. 
In the end, I think one Bowie is really enough, tho. 
 

No comments: