Thursday, August 27, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Huey Lewis and the News - Huey Lewis and the News

 Huey Lewis and the News -  Huey Lewis and the News


#280

Reviewed by George Chastain Jr. 
June 25, 1980 
Huey Lewis and the News 
Huey Lewis and the News 
 Genre: Big Man on Campus Pop 
 Allen’s Rating: 4 out of 5 
 George’s Rating: 3 out of 5 

George’s Highlights: 
Don’t Ever Tell Me That You Love Me 
Who Cares? 
If You Really Love Me You’ll Let Me 

By George Chastain Jr. 

Well don’t I feel stupid. I requested this album for review thinking it was Huey Lewis and the News’ Picture This album. I love Picture This, Fore, and Sport – all of which I am very familiar with. I, however, was not aware of HLATN’s first album, the self-titled Huey Lewis and the News. Overall, I enjoyed the album. I do not think it is up to the same caliber as their next three albums, but it’s serviceable. I slid it over to my album playlist (which to be honest I do not listen to nearly as much as my singles playlist, but nevertheless, it qualifies). In many ways, each song seems like a precursor to a great song on a future album. Trouble in Paradise would become If This Is It. Who Cares would become Working for A Living. The vocals are solid – not fantastic – but good. The band has great backing vocals though and nice harmonies. Always love to hear Huey’s harmonica playing. Over the course of the album, all the band members get a time to shine. Overall, I like this album, but I think I may like it because I know it’s Huey Lewis and the News, and I know where they are going to go after this. I wonder if I would feel the same if I did not know any of Huey Lewis’ music ahead of time. Which brings me to a point that has nothing to do with the album or music. I will never request a specific band or album to review again. It’s completely counter to why I decided to participate in the Listening Post. From now on, give me something random, Allen. I’d like to hear some of this power pop you and Sheff keep talking about. Anyway, Huey Lewis and the News always reminded me of a bunch of jocks that got together in high school to start a band. They think they are soooo cool. Fortunately, this “coolness” is not off-putting or annoying, but man, their hair makes me laugh. Personality wise, they always seemed to me to be wannabe Bruce Springsteen. Of course, this has nothing to do with their music which is fun and very sing-alongable (yes, this is in Websters).

No comments: