Monday, August 24, 2020

The 1980 Listening Post - Girlschool - Demolition

 Girlschool - Demolition



#262

by Paul Zickler
June 30 1980
Girlschool
Demolition 
Genre: Punky British Metal
Allen’s Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Paul's Rating: 3.0 


Highlights: 
Take It All Away
Nothing to Lose
Deadline  

Great! More British Metal! Have I mentioned I’m not really a metal fan? But wait, this is different! It’s kinda punky, almost Motörhead-like (a slightly slowed down Motörhead, but still). Plus, dude, they’re all girls! Not that it matters, but 15 year old me probably would’ve found that detail significant, right? The crazy thing is, I don’t actually mind this at all. The riffs are rock solid, the solos are well constructed and mercifully brief, and the singing sometimes verges on fun. Sure, some songs are more interesting than others, even if they do all sorta run together. And yeah, the lyrics are dumb, but not pretentious dumb, more like Ramones or Runaways dumb (“Saved all my money, saving that's a drag/But I never let them see you when you drive up in your Jag/Oooo, they're gonna Take it All Away.”) Don’t get me wrong, I would definitely listen to several hours of those bands before I’d consider putting on Girlschool again, but if somehow the collected works of the Runaways, Ramones and Motörhead were erased in some freak accident, I’d definitely reach for “Demolition,” along with a couple of beers and my best muscle t-shirt. Nothing to Lose indeed!

No comments: